Saturday, September 12, 2009

Be An Inspiration or Be Inspired

The question was posed. "Are you an inspiration to others or who inspires you?" It's taken me a few weeks to reflect on the question and come up with my perspective.

Am I an inspiration to others? I don't consciously think about doing something to be an inspiration to others. That seems to have an attitude of arrogance. Do I only want to do things so I can inspire someone else? The answer is a resounding "NO!" To do things this way seems self-centered with the focus on me and not on the action and the result. It shouts of "Hey, look at me! See what I did? Aren't I inspiring to you?" I should be doing things because of a higher road taken or because of a higher calling. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." When you take action because of these attributes, people will notice because of the attitude taken in doing things.

What inspires me are the selfless acts of compassion that are more prevalent than I think people realize. These are not magnanimous acts done to get attention, but private and intimate ones. I was having lunch at a food court recently at one of the local shopping malls. Sitting at a table across from me was a man with his back to me and a woman that appeared to be his wife in an electric wheelchair. The woman moved next to him and I noticed that her hands were deformed due to some debilitating muscular disorder. This caused her not to be able to feed herself, but the man selflessly and patiently did. I sat there watching them for several minutes, hoping not to get caught staring at them in this wonderfully private and intimate moment. I could only hope that if the same circumstances presented themselves to me that I could be as compassionate and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment