Saturday, January 2, 2010

Extremism

"And live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."-Ephesians 5:2 NIV


There was a time in my life not too long ago when I rode the bus on a daily basis. One day I was at a layover and saw a man, whom I will call John, approach another, whom I will call Paul, for a handout to get something to eat for dinner. Paul reached into his right rear pants pocket and pulled out his wallet. He opened up his wallet, pulled out a five dollar bill, and handed it to John. John was grateful and said, "God bless you." He thanked Paul and walked away.

The next day, Paul got off the bus with me at the same layover. John was there again and he approached just like the day before, asking for a handout. Paul reached into his back pocket, just like the day before, and pulled out his wallet. He opened it up, but this time he pulled out every single bill that he had in it and gave it to John. I didn't see every bill, but I can tell you the amount was substantial.

John stood there stunned. I'm sure he expected to get another five dollar bill, just enough for something to eat again that night. Instead, he got much more. John tried to give some of it back to Paul, but Paul would have none of it. John said, "God bless you." Then there was a sheepish utterance of gratitude from John as he slowly walked away. That would be the last time we ever saw John.

What Paul did was an offering and sacrifice to God. He gave to a person he didn't know, but just like Jesus, he gave out of love. Jesus didn't know you or me when He gave Himself as a sacrificial lamb to die for our sins on the cross. He was human. He was not God, but the Son of God.

God wants us to live a life of love. He wants us to love one another. He wants our love to be uncomfortable. He wants us out of our comfort zone. He wants our love to be extreme. He wants our love to be a sacrifice and an offering.

I don't know what Paul's financial situation was, but to me, what he did was an extreme. There John was, asking Paul for help, and Paul cleaned out his wallet. Would you clean out your wallet for somebody you didn't know?

No comments:

Post a Comment