Sunday, July 1, 2012

Egg Wife Beater

When I was growing up, the only kind of beater I heard of was an egg beater. It was the predecessor to the electric mixer and whisk. Where an electric mixer had two mixing blades, the egg beater only had one. There was a handle on the side that you would crank to make the blade spin and beat the egg.

These days, the beaters you hear about are the wife-beaters, female-beaters and child-beaters. You don't hear about man-beaters because the men are the ones doing the beating. It happens no matter the race; White, Black, Hispanic, Indian, Middle-Eastern or Asian, they all do it.

Whatever the case, this cannot be tolerated. It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! What possesses someone of great physical dominance to perform such an act? Nothing against the women I know, but they just don't have the physical power that a man has. If you put a man and a woman with similar size and weight into a ring with gloves on, all my money is going on the man. Women were not created by God to be that way. Women were created by God to be the child-bearers and nurturers. There's a reason that God says to take care of widows and orphans, and not widowers and single men. Men were created by God to be self-sufficient and have the physical strength to be the warriors and protectors.

What these men are modeling is anger in it's most extreme form, rage. I understand rage. I've been there. It was only once but it scared the daylights out of my then wife. I don't remember what triggered it other than we were having an argument. We were attacking each other verbally when it just got to the point where I had this uncontrollable desire to hit something. I put my fist through a wall. It got quiet for a moment and then she asked me why did I do that. I told her it was better to put my fist through the wall than her face.

I come from a time long ago where it was okay for corporal punishment. My parents rarely used their hands to discipline me. There was always some apparatus used as an extension of their hand to do the disciplining. It ranged from flip flops to extension cords and garden hoses; just whatever was in close proximity at the time. I always got it below the waist, either on my butt or the backs of my legs, but they never beat me with a closed fist. I still believe in corporal punishment, but only to the degree where it's only with an open hand below the waist to the butt.

Beating is something totally different today. It's man on woman. This is horrendous. Why do men do it? Is it to prove their physical superiority over the woman? I don't think any of us need to have that proven. Is it uncontrollable rage? This I believe is the most common reason for beatings, and there is help available for this. But first this has to be identified by someone early, before it gets to the uncontrollable stage.

People have to be honest about themselves and the people closest to them. I believe in many cases this can be caught before a boy becomes a man. Parents have to be cognizant as to how their sons react and deal with relational skills. Caught in time, there can be counseling and therapy to deal with this. Even after the boy becomes an adult, there are anger management classes to help with this. But you have to be honest about it. Don't give them or yourself any room for excuses.

Untreated and uncured, this can and does lead to more violent scenarios. The most tragic is the murder-suicide where the man murders the woman, then kills himself. The tragedy is not just in the act itself, but because many times it happens when there is a family and the children are left behind to deal with the tragedy. That can and probably does lead to issues where the children will have to be counseled and given therapy for all that comes with the aftermath of this kind of tragedy.

If you've been a victim, report it! If you've been a perpetrator, get help. There is absolutely no reason for a man to lay a hand on a woman. NONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment