Sunday, July 1, 2012

Quiet Time

Be willing to fight for this precious time with Me. Opposition comes in many forms: your own desire to linger in bed; the evil one's determination to distract you from Me; the pressure of family, friends, and your own inner critic to spend your time more productively. As you grow in your desire to please Me above all else, you gain strength to resist these opponents. Delight yourself in Me, for I am the deepest Desire of your heart. - Jesus Calling July 1


I've been pretty much bed-ridden the last five weeks due to a back injury at work. It's been painful to stand or sit for any amount of time and I feel the least amount of pain as I'm lying down. I've been entertaining myself by blogging, going to the doctor and physical therapy, spending time on Facebook and Twitter, listening to music, and watching cooking and home improvement shows on TV. I've gotten up to go for short ten minute walks (per my physical therapist), take care of personal hygiene and to go grocery shopping while coping with the pain associated with these activities.

The problem is that all these activities have taken me away from a great opportunity to spend time with my Father. I've made the time in the past to engage with Him while I've been healthy (relatively speaking), but now, I've wasted a golden opportunity to do this. What is it in this world that is so enticing to draw me away from the One who loves me unconditionally? Why haven't I used this time more wisely?

It is hard for me to have a relationship with anyone where I don't see them or hear their voice on a regular basis (my apologies to some of my social media friends). My faith allows me to believe that God is real, but not real in the physical sense. It is through faith, believing in what is unseen, that I am able to, when I choose, nurture my relationship with God.

In those quiet times He has spoken to me through the beauty of His creation all around me. It's not just the natural beauty of snow-capped mountains or gentle rolling waves at the beach or a gentle breeze on a warm day. It's also the architecture, the sounds of civilization, the technology that all have their beginnings with the Creator.

I can vividly remember the first time I heard His voice during my quiet time. I had been sitting in a chapel praying about a group of people I was leading. It was quiet and I was at peace with everything going on in my life. As I opened the doors to leave the chapel, I distinctly heard Him say, "You are their shepherd, take care of them." It was a surprise to me, but there was a sense of peace as I heard His words.

He has even spoken to me as I was journalling. I was sitting in a sterile setting insulated from the world. I began to write questions to Him and before I could get to the end He was already answering me. It wasn't an audible voice, but a voice from inside to my soul. I would write His answers and begin a new question and He would again answer before I was done writing the question. I just couldn't write fast enough. I know there is only one true mind reader and it was becoming fun to hear His answers so quickly. At the end of our time, His answer to my situation was to trust Him.

It's really up to me to consciously think of spending time with Him. It's not that hard, especially now in my condition, to do this. Lying around gives me all the time I need.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

It's so great when you can shut off the world around you and spend time listening to God talk to you. It puts an overwhelming joy and peace into your soul and when you kind of lag on spending that alone time with him your soul craves it! Great post!

Post a Comment